When this roaring decade started I was 17 years old. If you would have told me it was going to unfold the way that it has I would have said, "huh..." sounding kind of quizzical and reflective. Now, 12 years later, at the age of 29, I find that I've been irreparably shaped by the events and happenings that were present in the 00's.
I feel that it's necessary to take a survey of this decade, to sift through the bits and pieces and figure out just what made it tick.
One of the best ways to sum up your feelings about a decade is to arrange a series of top 10 lists.
One of the most important considerations you will make in composing top 10 lists is whether or not the numbers will represent rank. In my case, I have chosen that the numbers will not represent rank (i.e. I'm not saying that #2 is better than #7, and vice versa). To do that would represent a whole other layer of thinking that I'm not ready to commit to.
Top 10 Movies of the Decade:
1. In Bruges
2. The Departed
4. High Fidelity
5. The Dark Knight
6. The Royal Tenenbaums
7. Anything Else
9. Napoleon Dynamite
Honorable mentions: There Will Be Blood, Synecdoche, NY, Gladiator,
Top 10 Movies that silly people will tell you should be on the top 10, but they are wrong:
1. Pan's Labyrinth
2. Little Miss Sunshine (good but not great)
3. Inglorious Basterds (short on action, dialogue flat, though at times very enjoyable)
5. Elephant (probably one of the worst movies ever—Gus Van Sant has done nothing since Good Will Hunting)
6. Memento (interesting? sure. A gimmick movie? you got it.)
7. No Country For Old Men (it kills me to say this, I LOVE the Coen brothers, but I don't understand why this movie is "amazing." It qualifies as "moderately interesting" at best.)
8. Lost in Translation (also one of the worst movies ever, a real stink bomb)
9. Good night, and Good Luck (snooze, oh my god did i snooze)
10. Mulholland Drive (I don't care what anyone tells you, David Lynch is a dweeb.)
11. Atonement (blah)
Top 10 Words or Phrases that Went Over-used by Myself This Decade:
4. Water sprite
6. I love Jim and Pam
7. Low five
9. Gimme that, NOW
More to come, including top 10 songs and more!!
CORRECTION: It appears that I've been the victim of some bad math. For some reason I was thinking that a decade was 12 years, instead of the intractable 10, and that's why I said I was 29. But when I thought about it I remembered that I'm actually 27, and it all started to fall into place from there.